Battle Creek firefighters were called to a blaze at a storage unit located in the 300-block of Hamblin Avenue shortly before 1:00 p.m., Wednesday, March 2nd. 

When they arrived, they noticed smoke coming from vents in the roof of the structure and quickly pulled an attack hose to make an interior attack to gain control of the fire. Upon gaining entry, they discovered that the storage unit was being used as a makeshift living area being warmed by a wood stove. 

WKFR logo
Get our free mobile app

The residents had been able to escape the flames and were waiting for the arrival of fire crews. No injuries were suffered by the firefighters or now displaced storage unit dwellers. 

Investigators say that the blaze was ignited by items left too close to the unattended woodstove, causing $4,712 in estimated property damage, and $1,767 in contents damage. 

Riverfront Mansion With Stables For Sale in Otsego, MI

The property located next to the Kalamazoo River is listed at $2.4 million.

More From WKFR