One Michigan City Is On The List of Most Deadliest Cities In The Country
Not only did Detroit make the list but they landed in the top 5.
CBS News decided to research the under belly of the cities in out great country and here is what they based their survey on.
In America's urban centers, 6,791 people were murdered in 2017, according to the Major Cities Chiefs Association Violent Crimes Survey. That's down 252 from 2016. Here are murder rates in 62 major urban centers across the U.S. for 2017. The rates are calculated per 100,000 residents, based on the most recent population data.
As I was reading through the study, and seeing all the states that were listed I felt a relief that I did not see any Michigan Cities on the list until...yup...bummer, we not only made the list but the top 5. Check it out.
5. Cleveland, Ohio -The murder rate in Cleveland is 33.7 per 100,000.
4. Detroit, Michigan - The murder rate in Detroit is 39.7 per 100,000 residents. (In 2017, 267 people were murdered in that city).
3. New Orleans, Louisiana - The murder rate in New Orleans is 40.6 per 100,000.
2. Baltimore, Maryland - The murder rate in Baltimore is 51.1 per 100,000.
1. St. Louis, Missouri - The murder rate in St. Louis is 64.9 per 100,000.
No matter what, any city can be safe if you protect yourself and make good decisions. Carry your pepper spray, walk in well lite populated area, and have a buddy.