Does the world of politics get your motor running? Does the thought of shaking hands and kissing babies make you all googly moogly inside? Well, step right up, future politician. The city of Kalamazoo just might be the stepping stone you need to jump start that trajectory that leads to the White House.

The Kalamazoo City Commission is holding out for a hero. They're looking for a "volunteer" to be appointed to the City Commission (to fill the seat left open by Shannon Sykes Nehring, who quit because she bought a house. The Kalamazoo City Charter requires that the City Commission fill the position by appointing a qualified person within 30 days of the position becoming vacant.

So here's what a help wanted ad would say. "To be appointed to the City Commission, a person must be a U.S. citizen, must be 18 years of age or older, and must be a resident of the City of Kalamazoo at the time their application is filed with the City Clerk."

If this sounds like your dream job, the entry deadline is Thursday (May 30th) at 5:00pm.. The City Clerk's Office has the application form. You submit that and a letter of why you want to be a City Commissioner.

To be considered for appointment, interested citizens must submit a Board and Commission Application form and a letter of interest to the City Clerk by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 30, 2019. The application form is available in the City Clerk's Office and on the City’s website. Completed forms and letters of interest can be submitted to the City Clerk in the following ways:

Fax: (269) 337-8494

U.S. Mail and in person:

Scott Borling, City Clerk
241 W. South Street
Kalamazoo, MI 49007

For further information, citizens should contact the City Clerk at (269) 337-8792.



More From WKFR