Places In Kalamazoo To Take Your Furry Kid When You Vacation
What to do if you can't take your dog with you when you travel.
Summertime, means travel time for many and we can't always take our furry family member along with us. So what do we need to know before we kennel our dogs?
The web-site for the American Kennel Club (akc.org) had some great tips on how to choose a place to care for your dog.
- Ask if they are members of the American Boarding Kennels Association, which requires certain professional and ethical standards for membership.
- Contact the kennel well in advance.
- Ask questions and be sure to inquire about immunization requirements. Many kennels will require a bordetella shot, along with rabies, distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus, and parainfluenza.
- Observe the general appearance of the kennel for:
- Supervision and staff
- Sanitation and health care (medication and veterinary services)
- Access to drinking water and feeding procedures
- Exercise area
- Provisions for animal comfort such as temperature control, ventilation, adequate light, protection from outside elements, and sleeping quarters
Here are some local kennels that pet owners took the time to write about their experience with the boarding house. But, please remember to do your own investigating when choosing a kennel.
Jessica S. reported on yelp.com...
Both my goldens love to come play with the staff plus all their buddies and come home all nicely groomed! They all do a wonderful job here and love their job!
Ruth F. stated on yelp.com
Our 6 month old lab had a great experience at Derspinna over the holidays. He was well cared for, well exercised and well loved in our absence. It was great to pick up a clean, happy and calm pup when we returned. No hesitation in recommending this kennel as a good place to leave your pup while you are away.
Melanie R. posted on yelp.com...
Gillette is my kennel of choice. I have been to one other and my dog got very sick. Gillette is clean, organized, prepared to meet your dogs needs and the dogs are well cared for.
Fred D. wrote on yelp.com
This is the best kennel I have ever seen. Every time I go away I leave my 11 year old dog there and he is always well taken care of. Very nice people at front desk and it is always very clean. I have done training classes there the guy really knows how to train, just a great place for your dog!
My Best Friends Inn:
Olivia F. stated on yelp.com...
Fantastic spot for dog boarding. They are close to Kalamazoo and very affordable for all the services they provide. Here they will let your dog play with other dogs at least several times a day, so they aren't just cooped up in a kennel the whole day (how sad!). I think the only times the dogs are mainly kept in their individual kennel is during feedings and and at night. Thus my energetic pup loves coming here!
Stephanie F. reported on yelp.com...
A wonderful family owned establishment that has amazing and caring staff.
So that some great reviews of Kennels in our area, but remember you have to find the right fit for you pup. Ask questions, take your time finding a place and have a great vacation!