Indiana Refrigerated Toboggan Hill Now Open for Serious Sledding
You know, if the temps are going to be lingering below 30 degrees, we could at least make the cold weather worth it and get some SNOW! But, since we don't have snow YET, we'll have to make our own snowy fun. That's where Pokagon State Park comes in.
From the DNR website: Pokagon State Park's refrigerated Toboggan Run near Angola, Indiana, has about 90,000 riders every season. With the 30-foot tower and dips and valleys, the total vertical drop is 90 feet over the course of a quarter mile. The top recorded speed is 42 mph. It's a 20 to 30 second thrill ride.
Now, it IS a five and a half hour drive to the northern part of the state where the Toboggan Run is located but it's a perfect detour if you are headed to Chicago or are looking for take a road trip on your winter vacation!
It opens for the season, with or without snow at 10:30 a.m., Nov. 25. It operates on weekends only through Feb. 26, 2017. Hours:
Friday: 5:30-9 p.m.
Saturday: 10:30 a.m.-9 p.m.
Sunday: 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
The Toboggan has extended hours during winter break and is open on New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day and Presidents’ Day.
Fees & General Information
- Toboggan sled rental per hour: $13 (including tax). Toboggan Run gift certificates.
- Friday Special: Rent three toboggans in the same hour, the third one is free.
- Park entrance fees: $7 in-state vehicles, $9 out-of-state vehicles, $2 a person on a bus.
- During winter, fees are collected Friday nights and on weekends.
- Park closes at 11 p.m. Opens at 7 a.m.
- Driver’s license is required as deposit, rents up to four toboggans.
- Must use park’s sleds. Rented on first-come, first-served basis.
- Maximum of four people per toboggan (no exceptions).
- Cash, check and Visa/MasterCard accepted.
- No all-day rentals.
- No group reservations or group rates.
- There are no specific age or height restrictions, but children must be able to understand and abide by rules.
- No cameras or video equipment allowed on ride.
- Toboggan will close if temperature drops to 0 degrees F or below.
- Warming Center concession available (carry-in food prohibited).
- Nature Center is open 1-5 p.m., 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Park Office (260) 833-2012 is open 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Need a Place to Stay or Eat?
The Potawatomi Inn Resort and Conference Center is located nearby the run. It has 137 guest rooms, restaurant, and a spacious banquet and conference center. Make reservations online or call (877) 563-4371.
Hours for the dining room:
Breakfast: 7 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Lunch: 11:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Dinner: 5-8 p.m. Sunday-Thursday; 5-9 p.m. Friday and Saturday
Sunday Brunch: 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Cross Country Ski Rental
Located at the upper CCC Shelter. Includes skis, boots and poles.
- Hours: Saturday-Sunday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Cost: $5 an hour for youths 15 and under, $8 an hour for adults.