10 Interesting Facts About Past Presidents You May Not Know
Presidents are humans too and I discovered some interesting things about our past leaders.
10 Interesting Facts About Past Presidents You May Not Know...
- President William Taft, got stuck in the White House bathtub the first time he used it (he weighed 332 pounds).
- President Franklin Pierce was arrested during his presidency because he ran over a woman with his horse.
- Ulyssess S Grant was the first President to run against a woman in 1872. Her name was Virginia Woodhull and she was the nominee for the "Equal Rights Party".
- President Jimmy Carter was a speed reader and could read 2,000 words a minute.
- At his inauguration George Washington only had one tooth.
- President Theodore Roosevelt lost the sight in one eye while boxing in the White House.
- Presidents used to be sworn in on March 4th until 1937. This was because the calculating of the votes took so long.
- President Barack Obama collects Spiderman and Conan the Barbarian comic books.
- The term "O.K." is credited to 8th President Martin Van Buren was raised in Kinderhook, New York. After he went into politics President Van Buren became known as "Old Kinderhook". Soon people were using the term O.K. referring to Van Buren and the word okay was derived.
- President James Buchanan regularly bought slaves in Washington DC, then took them to Pennsylvania and freed them.
As A Bonus, Here Are 5 Interesting Facts About Elections...
- Only in the states of Maine and Vermont are felonies allowed to vote from prison.
- Jehovah's Witnesses do not vote.
- Presidents used to be sworn in on March 4th until 1937. This was because calculating of the votes took so long.
- American astronauts are allowed to vote in elections from space via secure e-mail.
- In 1996, the New York Times had the name of the winner in the elections as a clue and it worked regardless of the candidate.