10 Safety Tips For The Holiday Season From The MI Fire Marshall
The glow of Christmas lights can warm up any winter evening, but can also be incredibly dangerous.
According to State Fire Marshal Kevin Sehlmeyer the holidays can be deadly. He spoke with Mlive.com and said...
"A dry Christmas tree is extremely flammable and these types of fires can turn deadly within seconds, allowing you little time to escape."
One of every four house fires are due to dry Christmas trees or Christmas decorations located too close to a heat source, electrical malfunction, or unattended candles. Here are 10 ways to keep your family safe this Christmas.
Ten Fire Safety Tips For The Holiday Season
- Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
- Prior to placing the tree in a stand, cut 2" from the base of the trunk.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet from any heat source such as fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
- Make sure that the tree is not blocking an exit.
- Add water to the tree stand daily.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturers' instructions for number of light strands to connect.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a Christmas tree.
- Always turn off tree lights when going to bed or leaving your home.
- Don't overload your electrical socket.
- Discard your tree after the holidays at a tree recycling program in your community.
With a tad of knowledge, we can all be safe this holiday season!