Downtown Kalamazoo Stands Up Against Domestic Violence
Purple Ribbons Are Lining The Streets of Downtown Kalamazoo, and it is really wonderful what it stands for
When most people think of October, they think of 'Breast Cancer Awareness Month' and see pink all around town. But October is also 'Domestic Violence Awareness Month' and you will see purple ribbons proudly displayed throughout Kalamazoo's downtown streets.
According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV) there are some extremely frightening facts about this crime...
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men in the United States have experienced some form of physical violence by an intimate partner.
- On a typical day, domestic violence hotlines receive approximately 21,000 calls, approximately 15 calls every minute.
- Intimate partner violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime.
- The presence of a gun in the home during a domestic violence incident increases the risk of homicide by at least 500%.
- 72% of all murder-suicides involve an intimate partner; 94% of the victims of these crimes are female.