15 Things You Need To Know About Kalamazoo
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo and it is AMAZING!
With my new co-worker Mark Frankhouse experiencing Southwest Michigan for the first time, I wanted to give him a heads up on some of the really cool things to do here, as well as some great trivia about our amazing little piece of the world.
- Bell's Brewery - Not only the largest microbrewery in Michigan, Bell’s Brewery is also the first and oldest craft-brewer east of Boulder, Colorado
- Gibson Guitars - The iconic guitar was originally made right here in downtown Kalamazoo.
- Do Dah Parade - Is the unofficial kickoff to summer in Kalamazoo. The Do-Dah Parade is a Kalamazoo tradition. The parade is nonprofit, community organizing, and a grab your friends kind of event. The parade it opens the doors to groups that want to do something silly, dumb, and poke fun of a person, place, or thing.
- The Kalamazoo Mall - Built in 1959, the Kalamazoo Mall is the 1st outdoor pedestrian shopping mall in the U.S.
- Echo Valley - Kalamazoo's premier winter sports park, has tubing, tobogganing and ice skating.
- Sweater Waters Donut Mill - Family owned and managed and have been named 'Best Donuts in America' by MSN City Guide.
- Abraham Lincoln - Kalamazoo was the only visit to Michigan that President Lincoln ever made.
- T.J. Duckett - T.J. went to Loy Norrix High School, then on to play running back for the Atlanta Falcons, the Washington Redskins, the Detroit Lions, and the Seattle Seahawks.
- The Barn Theatre - The Barn Theatre School For Advanced Theatre Training was created to administer to the participating Apprentices a program of instruction, training, and practical experience in the preparation and presentation of theatrical productions.
- The Frank Lloyd Wright House - Frank Lloyd Wright (1869-1959) was one of America’s most influential twentieth century architects. His concept of the Usonian House– “a home of the common people”–can be seen in eight homes that he designed in Kalamazoo County.
- Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzy proposed to Sharon right here in 1981.
- Checker Taxi Cab -Checkers Motors Corp. was located in Kalamazoo and built all the cabs that the Checker Taxi Cabs we have come to know and love.
- Derek Jeter - was raised here in Kalamazoo and attended Kalamazoo High School...need I say more?
- Elvis Presley has been seen at a Burger King here in Kalamazoo after his reported death.
- WKFR - Today's Best Music 103.3
There is not a better place to live, then Kalamazoo. So take advantage of all the great things the West side of the state has to offer!