Michigan’s Number 1 Phobia Is…
A few weeks ago I was napping on the couch when I felt something crawl on my face, I sat up with fright, only to realize a centipede was crawling across my jaw... AHHHHHH...I had the hebbei jebbies for days after that! I hate bugs and now Clickondetroit did a survey and I can not argue with the results...
Research was conducted by using Google's autocomplete feature to find the 15 most common ways to end the phrases "why am I afraid of/to” and “why am I scared of/to.” Data was then compiled using Google Trends to see which of these phobias each state was searching for the most. According to the report from Your Local Security, Michigan's biggest phobia is bugs.
I grew up with centipedes and countless other creepy crawlers including fish flies, so I can see why in our state that we have a phobia of bugs. In fact, the mitten state is home to 590 bugs including the black widow spider that could be deadly to a human. Some of of our bug spices are cute, like a dragon fly and other are icky like American dog tick. Overall I believe we have a healthy fear of the creepy crawlies in our state.
Other states have different fears (or none at all)...
- North Dakota and Wyoming are the only states without a top-searched fear.
- New Mexico is one of the sunniest states in the US and the only one most afraid of the dark.
- Montana, a state with some tall peaks (including Granite Peak at 12,808’ and Mount Wood at 12,661’), is most afraid of heights.
- California, home to Silicon Valley and Hollywood, has a fear of success.
- New York, which has one of the least licensed drivers per capita and the most taxi drivers, has a fear of driving.
I think it is funny to check out what scares the folks in other states, because is sems to make sense!