Be Fire Safe This Holiday Season Kalamazoo
Protect your home and family this Christmas Season
Recently there has been two horrible house fires that are currently under investigation. One fire that occurred in Comstock, thankfully did not have anyone in the home at the time of the blaze. Unfortunately the fire in White Pigeon claimed the lives o a pregnant woman and an elementary student. Tragedies, like these always break ones heart and we all need to be aware of how to stay safe, especially this time of year.
Houselogic.com had some great tips and interesting information on how to stay safe in your home this holiday season. Here are the biggest fire hazards that we all face.
Cooking - Cooking is the top cause of holiday fires, (that really shocks me). according to the USFA. The most common culprit is food that’s left unattended. Make sure to keep a kitchen fire extinguisher that’s rated for all types of fires, and check that smoke detectors are working. If you’re planning to deep-fry your holiday turkey, do it outside, on a flat, level surface at least 10 feet from the house.
Candles - The incidence of candle fires is four times higher during December than during other months. According to the National Fire Protection Association, four of the five most dangerous days of the year for residential candle fires are Christmas/Christmas Eve and New Year’s/New Year’s Eve. The fifth is Halloween.
Christmas Trees - It takes less than 30 seconds for a dry tree to engulf a room in flames.
To minimize risk, buy a fresh tree with intact needles, get a fresh cut on the trunk, and water it every day. A well-watered tree is almost impossible to ignite.
Decorative Lights - Inspect light strings, and throw out any with frayed or cracked wires or broken sockets. When decorating, don’t run more than three strings of lights end to end. Check outdoor receptacles to make sure the ground fault interrupters don’t trip. When hanging lights outside, avoid using nails or staples, which can damage the wiring and increase the risk of a fire. Instead, use UL-rated clips or hangers. And take lights down within 90 days. If you leave them up all year round, squirrels chew on them and they get damaged by weather.