Kids Crying “Aw, There’s Nothing To Do?” Yes, There Are.
Summer vacation is beginning, and no doubt, right behind will be cries of "We're bored! There's nothing to do.") Here's something that sounds like fun all summer long.
“Check Out My Museum!” celebrates the Kalamazoo Valley Museum’s 20-year anniversary. Beginning Wednesdays, June 29-August 10, from 1-4 p.m., there will be free arts and crafts. Kids can participate in a weekly Lego exhibit challenge and see their creation on display. Participants will make arts and crafts to take home, create a Lego design that matches the weekly theme.
Here's some more highlights from the schedule:
- Discover space science on June 29 with art inspired by the Museum’s planetarium, Challenger Learning Center, moon exhibit, and solar clock.
- Follow the river trail through the history gallery to learn more about baseball, guitars, and Checker cabs from the past on July 6.
- Check out the weather exhibits on the first floor and explore tornadoes, snow, rain, and Michigan’s sandy beaches through art on July 13.
- Explore the Science gallery on July 20 and create crafts that focus on magnets, gears, color mixing, and the human body.
- Some of the Museum’s most popular artifacts can be found within the three-story wall of "core" objects influencing the crafts for July 27.
- The mummy was donated to the Museum in December of 1928. Create a variety of Egyptian-related art on August 3.
- "Children’s Landscape was designed for younger visitors, ages 5 and under. Using pretend play, literature, puppets, puzzles, and hands-on activities, young children are introduced to the Museum. Create these objects for yourself on August 10 and reflect on when you were young enough to enjoy Children’s Landscape."
Also, the Challenger Learning Center will be open on Wednesday afternoons for The Challenger Experience and Mini-Missions. For program times and appropriate ages, visit kalamazoomuseum.org.
Planetarium shows will be offered at 1, 2, and 3 p.m. on Wednesday afternoons. The 1 p.m. show will change each week to match the program theme:
- Dawn of the Space Age (June 29), Ice Worlds (July 6)
- Wildest Weather in the Solar System (July 13)
- Magic of the Otherworld (July 20)
- Sky Legends of the Three Fires (July 27)
- Stars of the Pharaohs (August 3)
- In My Backyard (August 10).
The 2 p.m. show will be Space Park 360, and the 3 p.m. show is Secrets of the Sun. For a detailed description of each program, visit our website. All Challenger Missions and planetarium shows are $3 per ticket.
The museum website is www.kalamazoomuseum.org The online collections are at www.kalamazoomuseum.org/collections.