A Michigan School Is Shut Down Due To Scarlet Fever
Illness has caused a Genesee County private school to close.
Faithway Christian School in Burton has shut their doors for the rest of the week due to the threat of Scarlet Fever and Strep throat.
Mlive reported that Principal Laura Walthers stated...
"We just sent notices out to our parents that we've had two confirmed case of scarlet fever, so we are closing the rest of this week for deep cleaning."
The 2 cases Principal Walthers was referring to are from the elementary school where 93 students are attendees.
Scarlet fever is a scary disease and since it is circulating I thought we could all use an update on what to look for with the illness.
Symptoms Of Scarlet Fever...
- A very red throat
- Sore throat
- Red rash (the rash feels like sandpaper)
- Bright red skin on the underarm, elbow, and/or groin area
- Whitish coating on the tongue
- A "strawberry" tongue (the tongue is red and bumpy)
- Body aches
- Abdominal pain
- Swollen glands
If Scarlet Fever Is NOT Treated A Person May Experience...
- Skin infections
- Abscesses of the throat
- Kidney disease
- Rheumatic fever
I checked out the differences between Scarlet Fever and Strep Throat on WebMD.com and here is what you need to look for with Strep Throat...
Symptoms Of Strep Throat...
- Fever of 101 or higher
- Swollen lymph nodes (on the neck)
- Little red spots on the back of the roof of your mouth
- Red and Swollen tonsils (that is the two round lumps in the back of your throat
- You may also see white patches on them or elsewhere in the throat
I hope everyone remains healthy and those that are sick recovery quickly!