What Are You Thankful For? Here’s Some of Mine; Add Yours
I don't know how you celebrate Thanksgiving. Some folks are very traditional, with the entire family gathered around a perfectly set table, a turkey artfully carved. You know the drill.
Others, go out for the holiday. Single folks, in some cases plant themselves in front of the television and binge of football, dog shows, or reruns.
Thanksgiving provides us a chance to take stock of our lives and give thanks for that which is worth being thankful for. Kathy insists we do it before we gorge ourselves on Thursday, so it's already on my mind what I'm thankful for this year.
There have been some setbacks this year as there are every year, but you know, we're still kickin', so all in all, things are good. Here are some of the things I'm thankful for at the end of 2018.
1. Family. I know it's cliche, but it truly is the most important thing in my life. Kathy is the best; she makes me smile. And I wish a best friend like her on everyone. The kids have turned into really good adults and are finding their way in life. And they make me smile, too.
Okay, here's what's particularly funny about this picture. Kath has a "history" of "maybe" getting/dropping/spilling a small piece of food on herself at times. And here she is at Bell's, with a white sweater, eating chili. Hahaha.
Okay, now the less important stuff, but stuff that stirs the drink, so to speak.
2. Khalil Mack and the Chicago Bears. Now before you go all Michigan on me, understand, life is so much sweeter when the team you root for is really really good, or in the case of the Bears, getting there. You U of M fans can really be down with that. And it doesn't hurt that that school south of them is having a mediocre years. And a bonus turkey leg to Jon Gruden for trading him to Chicago.
3. Local beer (and beer scene). You know the way I write and talk about beer, you'd think I consume a lot of it. I don't. But I do love what I love. M-43 is still the best beer I've had in the past 18 months. But there's been an addition that. (Cue the dramatic music) The Hangar over on West Main has a variation that's oh...so...good. They have an M-43 clone from Rochester Mills, Juice Bigalow, and they splash it with some Raspberry Cider. That, my friend, is liquid manna from heaven.
3a. I'm still thankful for Bell's Eccentric Cafe. I lovingly call it "The Mothership". Love the atmosphere there, some really cool musical act, that great backyard, and oh, they have great beer.
4. Retro TV channels. I think if you've known me for any length of time, you know I love classic TV, and these retro channels like Antenna TV bring back some great reruns.
5. My new ride. I had an old and horrible small SUV (GM should be ashamed, but they always blame the old GM for it). But I got a sporty little four door to replace it and...wait for it...wait for it - It has Bluetooth. Like the guys on Big Bang Theory said, "everything is better with bluetooth."
6. Ray-Ray's on Miller Road. Still the best food in town.
6. I'm very grateful for everyone who turns their radio on in the afternoon to 103.3, and to you who click over to read my sometimes pointless meanderings. Thank you.
There's more, but the rule is leave 'em wanting more, not less. Happy Thanksgiving.