A woman says she made a deadly discovery inside a package of grapes she bought from a Walmart in Michigan: a black widow spider.

ABC News reports 25-year-old Ariel Jackson of Troy, Michigan bought the grapes for a barbecue party at her sister's house this past Sunday, her boyfriend, Michael Frank, told ABC News. When Jackson started washing the grapes, she noticed a black widow spider crawling inside the package and "freaked out," he said.

Frank said Jackson tried to call the local fire department and animal shelter to get advice on "how to dispose of it," but since both departments were closed, she resorted to 911. "When I called them, I said, 'This isn’t really an emergency, but I have a black widow spider,'" Jackson told ABC affiliate WXYZ-TV in Detroit. "And he’s like, 'Just kill it,’ and I’m like, 'Me? You want me to kill it?’" Jackson's brother sprayed it with an insect killer. It eventually died after "quite a few sprays," he said.

The black widow's venom is a "neurotoxin that produces pain at the bite area and then spreads to the chest, abdomen, or the entire body," according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Death is a possibility in "severe cases," more common symptoms include itching or a rash, pain at the site of the bite, a reddish or purplish blister, muscle pain or cramping, difficulty breathing, headache, nausea, vomiting, fever, chills, anxiety and high blood pressure.

I will never be able to buy fruit, without paranoia, ever again!


ABC Breaking News | Latest News Videos