The Lantern Fest Coming To Kalamazoo Speedway This Fall [Video]
It is a dreamlike experience to watch thousands of twinkling lanterns float over a city. Whether you are imagining that you are in a tower waiting for your prince, or if you participated in Art Prize in Grand Rapids to watch "Lights in The Night," its an unforgettable sight! These lanterns have become part of many people's weddings days or memorial services, and now these lanterns are coming to the Kalamazoo Speedway for The Lantern Fest on Saturday, Sept. 26.
Originally the event was planned for Berlin Raceway in Marne MLive reported, and no explanation has been publicized as to why the location has changed. However, while the magical and uplifting event is championed by many, there were concerns raised about how this impacts the environment and whether fire hazard is being considered.
You are invited to form your own opinion - and check out their website. If you can get by the concerns and take their word for it, this event is sure to be a fun and enlightening experience! The Sak Lunch Productions promises a lantern to each participant along with some extra take home items. The event is to circle around the idea of letting something go, freeing yourself or memorializing memories. Whatever the reason, you are sure to be inspired. As they say in their about section, all you need to know is that "There will be music, dancing, s’mores and, when the time is just right, we will light the sky with our highest hopes, deepest regrets, and fondest dreams."
ABOUT THE LANTERN FEST:
- WHAT: At The Lantern Fest, thousands of revelers join together armed with lanterns for one unforgettable spectacle. There will be music, dancing, s’mores and, when the time is just right, we will light the sky with our highest hopes, deepest regrets, and fondest dreams.
- WHERE: Kalamazoo Speedway, 7656 Ravine Road, Kalamazoo, MI 49009
- WHEN: Saturday, Sept. 26. Gates open at 3 p.m. Be sure to arrive on time if you would like to have a fire pit. Lanterns will fly when the sun goes down (usually between 7 and 10 p.m.)
- COST: Adults $25-$50 (depending on when you buy — prices go up closer to the event); the venue may be charging for parking. Kids 3 and younger are free, ages 4 to 15 will need to register with a $5 kids pass, they will receive entrance to the event as well as a mini flashlight.
- WHAT YOU GET: With your Lantern Pass, you will receive a wristband granting you entrance to the event, a Lantern, a marker, a lighter, and a s'mores kit (with enough supplies to make 4 s'mores).
- WHAT TO BRING: A blanket or chairs for sitting; a jacket in case you get chilly; money or a credit card to buy a snack or drink; dancing shoes!