5 Tips for a Healthier Holiday
Here are small changes you can make this year for a healthier holiday.
One Digital Health and Benefits came up with a list of 10 tips for a healthier holiday and here are my top 5 favorites:
1. Use All the food groups while preparing dinner. As an appetizer, whole-grain crackers and hummus. For the party sized salad, add any type of unsalted nuts and/or black beans. Substitute low-fat milk instead of cream to your casseroles and for dessert, serve fresh fruit.
2. Low-calorie drinks. Try to stay away from the sugary juices with additives and serve 100% fruit juice or, serve water and add lemon or lime slices.
3. Bake healthier. Did you know you can mash ripe bananas and use that instead of butter?! Try cutting the amount of sugar needed in half and substitute spices like cinnamon or nutmeg instead of salt.
4. Have fun and be the life of the party. Don't stress, focus on your family and friends, laugh and have fun!
5. Leftovers. Leftovers are the BEST during the holidays and you can use them to create NEW meals. I do this every year, add turkey to a salad, and use extra vegetables to make soup. If you think the leftovers will go to waste, give it to a local food bank.